Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grilled Potato Medallions

I'm not sure if you noticed, but lurking in the background of Monday's post was a fantastic side dish that didn't get its appropriate time in the spotlight. 


The boy and I have been searching for the best way to make a healthy-ish baked potato that has a nice crunchy outside. Somehow, roast potatoes or oven fries never seem to get crispy for me. I've tried boiling first, more oil, less oil, nonstick spray, small pieces, large pieces. The potatoes always end up either burnt or just kind of baked, not really crispy.

There is one way to make crispy potatoes in the oven - buy a bag of frozen tater tots and put in the oven. Set on high. Crispy that shit right up.

But then those are fried. And I'm trying to lose weight. And even though I workout for an hour, 4 days per week. And work with a personal trainer strength training twice a week. And have cut out a lot of carbs, most dairy, 99% of my diet soda (I still get one Diet Pepsi on Saturdays), and chocolate...I've still only lost 0.8 lbs in the last month. So bagged tater tots are off the menu.

But I think I've finally found something that works. It takes a little time, but it's easy and totally worth it. Just look at that crispy little 'tato below! All it took was my Foreman Grill!



I think it's the perfect combination of pre-cooking, a little oil, and a hot surface.

Ingredients
4 large red potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Directions
  1. Preheat Forman Grill (or panini press) on high 
  2. Wash and dry potatoes
  3. Slice into thick slices (about 1/2-inch thick)
  4. Boil potato slices in salted water until soft, about 10 minutes
  5. Remove from water and allow to cool long enough so you can handle them
  6. Toss with salt, pepper, garlic, and oil in ziploc bag
  7. Place slices on grill and press down. 
  8. Grill for about 30 minutes, flipping potato slices occasionally.

Rejoice in the crispiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis