Saturday, February 25, 2012

One-Chip Chippers

The idea for these came to me almost in a dream. Ok, not really, but pretty close. I was lying in bed, just about to fall asleep when I had the sudden impulse to make teeny-tiny, itty-bitty chocolate chip cookies. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of divine intervention. Ok, fine...maybe it was just the fact that I was hungry and wanted something I could eat by the handful.


The next day I raided my kitchen and discovered that I had everything I needed to make teeny-tiny, itty-bitty chocolate chip cookies...except brown sugar. Luckily, my years of baking expertise and my astounding laziness helped me come up with a quick substitute.


(p.s. If you're not familiar with this image, you need to read This is Why I'll Never Be an Adult by Hyperbole and a Half. Don't worry we'll be here when you get back.)

This recipe is no more than the Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie recipe from the back of the bag. It's still #1 in my book. To make it dairy-free, just use margarine or Earth Balance, or your favorite non-dairy butter-like substance. I'm assuming that the milk fat listed in the chocolate chips means that it has some lactose, but they don't seem to bother anyone here, so I just used regular semi-sweet chocolate chips. I'm sure dairy-free chocolate chips would work as well.

Once you have the dough made, all you do is make smaller portions and reduce the cooking time. I also didn't add the chip until after they came out of the oven. It doesn't make a difference if you want to add them before or after. I pushed the chocolate chip into the tiny dough ball for the first batch, but forgot for the second and just did it after. 



Just keep in mind that this makes a LOT of cookies. I think the original recipe suggests dropping onto a cookie sheet by tablespoon and here we're dropping by teaspoon or so.

BUT it means that you can eat a handful and it's really only about one cookie!
yea! 



Ingredients
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup white packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
~2 cups chocolate chips


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. 
  3. Drop rounds 1/2 to 1 teaspoon in size onto a greased cookie sheet (or silicone baking mat). Place one chocolate chip in the center of each dough ball.
  4. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges start to turn slightly golden. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. 

Indulge by the handful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis