Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Shrimp

I'm completely miserable today. Strep throat (ugh). Cramps (TMI?). Sore muscles from the personal trainer sales pitch free fitness evaluation at the gym I joined (which taught me that I should not be allowed to handle my own body - I have no idea what I'm doing with it). After all that, I'm so glad that leftovers are waiting for me in the fridge. 

Last night I cooked up some Sweet and Spicy Grilled Shrimp and served it over some brown rice. This was another one of my freezer meals, so all I had to do was defrost and cook. So easy!



Even if this was waiting for me in my freezer, this would have been super easy to prepare for an immediate meal (just note that there is 1-2 hrs of marinating required). I just put all the ingredients in a 1-gallon freezer ziplock bag and popped it in the freezer. The night before we were ready to cook, I let it defrost in the fridge. When you're ready to cook, you can skewer and grill the shrimp or I just put them in a large frying pan and cooked a few minutes until the shrimp was pink all the way through.


The shrimp is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. You can always kick up the spice, but I thought the amount originally called for was perfect. I bought a lot of shrimp and this still made a LOT of marinade. I ended up pouring some into the sauce pan, letting it cook down, and still had half a 1-gallon ziplock bag left. I even poured about half a cup of the cooked down sauce over the shrimp and rice.


Ingredients (adapted from Our Best Bites)

2 pounds raw shrimp, deveined and peeled
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/4 cup hot chili garlic sauce (I used Sun Luck brand found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (again, used the Sun Luck brand in my store)
1 cup honey
1 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients except shrimp in a 1-gallon ziplock bag. Mix throughly. 
  2. Add shrimp and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours (or just put the bag in the freezer until ready for use).
  3. Heat skillet on medium high heat. Add about a cup of marinade and allow to cook down a little, maybe 5 minutes. 
  4. Add shrimp and cook until pink all the way through, turning once or twice. Maybe 2-3 minutes.
  5. Serve over brown rice.
  6. Take a kitty or two to bed and wait for the antibiotics to kick in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis