Friday, May 18, 2012

Candied Pecans

aka The Snack I've Been Known to Make Myself Sick from Eating so Many.
aka why do my photos look so unappetizing?

I had these at my Aunt's a few weeks ago and, even though I don't like nuts, I almost devoured the entire bowl.
I hid them from other people at the house.
I begged for the recipe.
I promptly forgot where she said she got the recipe.

So for the last few weeks, I've been trying to try my hand at these. There were plenty of recipes out there, so it was just a matter of remembering to buy supplies and actually putting pecan to pan and getting my act in gear. That second one took a few days on its own.


I finally settled on a top-rated recipe from AllRecipes.com, and, following the guidance of people who had reviewed the recipe, set out to make a batch of candied pecans that will convert nut-haters like myself.

This was ridiculously simple. Who knew? Just um, let's see...one, two...five ingredients! Sorry, had to count.


About 30 minutes in the oven and you're left with the sweetest bestest nut around, unless you have peanut butter in the pantry, then peanut butter is the best nut around. These would be second. Let's just assume that you're in that grocery limbo place where you're out of peanut better, but haven't gone to the store yet, then these would be the ultimate nut in your house.

P.s. nut

Recipe (adapted from All Recipes)
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
5 cups whole, raw pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Best egg whites until stiff
Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla
Pour over pecans n large bowl and stir to coat
Spread on cookie sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat (my Silpat worked great)
Bake for 30 minutes, stirring @ 20 minutes
Allow to cool and store in a ziplock bag
Show restraint and don't eat too many in a single sitting like me.

Excuse me while I go lie down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis