Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lemon and Caper Roasted Chicken

aka How I Learned that my Husband Doesn't Like Lemons or Capers.

I put a batch of Lemon and Caper Roasted Chicken in the freezer about a month ago and, after taking 3 days to defrost, finally cooked it tonight after another long day of fighting pollution. 



I found this recipe on What's Cooking, Chicago? If you've ever search for freezer meals on Pinterest, you've probably seen this blog. She's got TONS of awesome-looking recipes. I've only tried a couple, but so far, so good!

It looked incredible. Lemon? Capers? Artichokes? Asparagus? 
What's not to like?

Well, if you're my husband, the answer to that is: lemon, capers, artichokes, and asparagus.

Oops.

I made a deal with him that he has to try anything I make just once. If he doesn't like it, I'll give him credit for trying it and I won't make him eat it again. So it looks like this won't go on our regular rotation, but don't let him sway you. I thought it was delicious.



I loved the combination of lemon and capers. The chicken was juicy and the lemon really came through. The veggies were good too! The recipe make three large breasts so after having the plate above, I cut them all up  and will be making lunch salads for the next few days. Much more flavorful the plain chicken I usually use on a salad. 

UPDATE: Had this in a salad today and it was fantastic! 


Ingredients (adapted from What's Cooking, Chicago?)
These directions are for the make-ahead freezer addition. If you'd like to make this from start to finish, check out What's Cooking, Chicago?

Garlic & Herb Marinade:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup packed fresh parsley
1 shallot, chopped
6 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Chicken:
1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and patted dry
1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut in half
1 pint cherry tomatoes (about 12 ounces)
1 10-ounce jar capers, rinsed
1 lemon, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large chicken breasts (about 3 pounds)


Directions
  1. Process all of the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 20 seconds.
  2. Place the artichokes, asparagus, and tomatoes in an oven- and freezer-safe baking dish and lay the chicken breasts on top. 
  3. Pour the marinade over the chicken and vegetables. Top with lemon slices and capers, season with salt & pepper as desired, then cover and freeze. 
  4. When ready to prepare, defrost completely. 
  5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. 
  6. Bake until an thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 170 degrees, about 45-60 minutes.
  7. Serve and enjoy! 

Or if you live in my house, serve a portion for yourself and make your husband peanut butter on toast. Then enjoy over salad for the rest of the week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis