Friday, March 2, 2012

Toffee Blondies

I don't know much about about my husband's job. I know he's an accountant and that whenever I ask him what he does, he says it's too boring to explain. I know that he's good with numbers and that I don't have to do things like split checks or figure out whether my birthday will be on a Saturday (yea!) or a Tuesday (boo!) this year. I also know that during tax season (January to April), he works a LOT.

And I love and appreciate him for that.

So, to show that love and appreciation, I bake for him and his team on a regular basis.

Now I'm told that his team specifically requested my toffee blondies; however, seeing that they've never had them before, I'm a little suspicious that a random group of his co-workers would randomly suggest my boy's favorite dessert...
I guess it doesn't really matter who asked for what. In the end, he they got his their blondies.



They're warm, sweet, gooey, buttery, toffee-y blondies.

Now, before we go any further, the first thing you'll need to know about these (or any blondie or brownie for that matter), is that you can't really make these without the proper tools. I mean, sure an oven comes in handy, a mixer is a good bet, some would even say that a sifter is a no-brainer, and that's all well and good, but my friends, if you really want to make these addictive then you need the right pan.




A Brownie Edge Pan, if you will.

This goes on the list of things I could have and should have thought of. I bet whoever made this is raking in the millions. Next to the internet and yoga pants, this might be the greatest invention ever. Especially when it comes to making toffee blondies that were specifically requested by a group of exhausted accountants.

Once you have the pan that gives every piece a perfectly chewy edge, you may continue on with the recipe.




I got this awhile ago from Martha Stewart's cookie book and I've been making them from my written version, so I'm not sure how much they differ from the original, but here's how I make them.

Dairy-free disclaimer(s)
: First, the original recipe called for butter, so I used margarine.  Second, I used store-bought Heath Toffee Bits which list milk as an ingredient. This small amount won't affect the lactose-intolerant in my family, but to be truly dairy-free, you'll have to either buy vegan toffee or make your own. Making toffee is really easy though so don't worry.





Ingredients


1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) margarine softened

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1.25 cup toffee bits


Directions 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease your new Brownie Edge Pan.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine margarine and both sugars; stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Attach bowl to mixer; add eggs. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. 
  4. Add vanilla, and beat to combine. Add flour mixture and toffee bits. Mix until thoroughly combined, and pour into prepared pan.
  5. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes (do not overbake). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before turning out of pan onto a cutting board. I find with the brownie pan, it's easier to cut it right in the pan than trying to get it to all come out in one piece.

6.  Send husband into work to be a Toffee Blondie hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis