Friday, March 30, 2012

Quick Skillet Steak and Onions

So on Thursday my trainer asked me if I was doing anything fun this weekend. 
I hung my head in shame and said,

"Beer, bourbon, BBQ festival."

Then I forgot all about my trainer (aside from the fact that I couldn't climb stairs or do anything that involved my legs - you know like getting out of cars or sitting down to pee), sampled bourbon, drank beer, and downed pulled pork like a boss.

It was awesome.

And then I came home and had to face reality. 
Beer-less, bourbon-less, BBQ-less reality. 

Reality where I have to make Sunday dinner.


At least this was delicious and super quick and pretty healthy too. About a 100 calories a serving - well the meat and onions, not including the rice and carrots, but really how much can that add?


This was so good. How could you go wrong with mushrooms and sauteed onions? I think every recipe I try on here starts with sauteing mushrooms and onions.

The next day I served this as fajita filling and it was outstanding. :)


Ingredients (adapted from Skinnytaste.com)

1/2 pound beef round, cut into thin strips
1 large onion, sliced into rings
1/2 tsp olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
cooking spray
garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Slice steak into thin strips, season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
  2. Heat large skillet and spray with cooking spray. Just remember to take the pan away from the stove when you spray it - that spray is flammable.
  3. Cook meat for 2 minutes or so, turning/stirring to cook on all dies.
  4. Remove meat from pan and add onions. Cook on high heat for 3-4 minutes, until browned.
  5. Add mushrooms and saute for another few minutes. 
  6. Add meat back to pan, just to heat up a little.
  7. Serve over brown rice or however you'd like.
To prepare ahead of time as a freezer meal, cut meat and season. Put in 1-gallon ziplock bag. Chop onions and mushrooms and freeze in separate bags. When ready to cook, defrost completely and cook as directed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis