Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chicken Puttanesca 2.0

Maybe I'm cheating a little by putting up a re-do so quickly, but I really don't have anything else to post. I've been so unmotivated to cook this week, that I got caught up on my posts and now have nothing to show for it.

This week we basically ate the last few recipes I've posted and leftovers (and more leftovers). There are only two of us and most of these recipes make a lot! I mean we got 6 servings out of the shepherd's pie (which we ate so quickly, I ended up with really crappy photos), two full meals (and a lunch) out of the quick skillet steak and onions, and the original chicken puttanesca made at least 10 servings. 

If you read the original chicken puttanesca recipe, you'll remember that it was good, but not fantastic. I thought it was a little dry. But, like I said, this made a lot so we ate a few servings then put the rest in the freezer for next time, but not before I added mushrooms and more sauce.

Now we have a winner!


The first time I made this it was more like flavored chicken over orzo, but we much preferred a meal that was more like spaghetti with chicken, more saucy. So good!


I really recommend this version of  the recipe. It's really easy, really cheap, it's not quick, but takes little effort, and you'll have enough to feed a family for a week.


New and Improved Ingredients

2.5 pounds chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (upped from 1/8 teaspoons, but we like pepper)
two 26-ounce jar of pasta sauce with olives (I couldn't find sauce that specifically had olives so I just used regular spaghetti sauce)
1 tablespoons drained capers
1 teaspoon lemon zest
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
3 cups orzo, cooked according to package directions

Directions (ready-to-eat version)
  1. Place chicken in crock pot. Sprinkled with salt and pepper. 
  2. Mix sauce, capers, and lemon peel in a large bowl and pour over chicken in slow cooker.
  3. Cover and cook on low-heat for 6-7 hours or high-heat for 3-3.5 hours. 
  4. Serve chicken and sauce over hot-cooked orzo.
Directions (freezer version)
  1. Combine all ingredients (except pasta) in a 1-gallon freezer bag. Freeze until ready to eat.
  2. When ready to cook, allow to defrost completely.
  3. Empty bag into crock pot and cover and cook on low-heat for 6-7 hours or high-heat for 3-3.5 hours. 
  4. Serve chicken and sauce over hot-cooked orzo.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis