Friday, April 27, 2012

Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce

So I'm back from my mini-vacation/business trip. Did you miss me?
Well, I missed you. It was really awesome. I got to spend a few days with my family in California. 

We crafted. We shopped. We blogged. We fed squirrels. 


We got swarmed by seagulls. 


We laughed. 
Well, I laughed. 
At my aunt. 
Instead of helping her fend of birds.
This is why I've been written out of most wills.

It was awesome!

In hindsight, I really should have taken the vacation after the business trip. I was so bitter that I had to leave the fun for a week of driving around looking at radio towers. OK, it wasn't that bad. I actually really enjoy traveling for work, but knowing that my parents were at my aunt's house spending the next two weeks crafting, wine tasting, shopping, laughing, made me really unpleasant for most of the week. Every time I had to wake up at 6 am and get in the truck for four hours of off-road driving, I just kept thinking that I could be waking up at 10 to pick out fabric and make something adorable. Oh well, I'll just have to take more vacations next year. :)

Now that I'm home and had some time to settle back in, it's dinner time! Ok, who am I kidding. Dinner was expected as soon as I got home. Luckily, it was already in the freezer.


I think I said it previously, but my new philosophy is to basically substitute wine anytime a recipe calls for a sauce that I would normally use cheese for. Macaroni and wine anyone?

This was like a garlicy version of chicken marsala. Quite delish. 


I might have overdid it on the garlic and wine, but that's because a) I think I'm too good to measure ingredients and b) I forgot that I already added the garlic and added a second dose. Still pretty good - and great in a wrap for lunch the next day!


Ingredients (adapted from Skinny Taste)

eight chicken tenderloins
4 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup flour, plus a small handful for the sauce.
4 cloves garlic (or if you screw up like me, about 7 cloves)
one 12-ounce package sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup white wine
1/3 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Dredge chicken in flour, salt, and pepper.
  3. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in pan. Once hot, add chicken, and cook until no longer pink inside (about 6 minutes). Turning as necessary. 
  4. When the chicken is done, transfer to an oven-safe dish, and put in oven to keep warm.
  5. Add remaining olive oil in the same pan and cook mushrooms until tender. Add wine, chicken broth, and parsley and cook until reduced by half. I also threw in a small handful of flour to thicken up the sauce.
  6. Remove chicken from oven and serve over brown rice and topped with the sauce.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

ShareThis